The Skye In Winter The Skye In Winter

D'aw. I appreciate it tremendously!

I'm not going to really put a big review on this, just gonna leave it at the fact that I love the chords, haha!

Osman - "Power! Rushing Burstman!" (NGADM) Osman - "Power! Rushing Burstman!" (NGADM)

Heyo, Retroman. Good to see you got a complete song this time! time for your complete review, open wide. :)

Stuff that's great:
- Right away, 8-bit sound is awesome. Super retroman, lol.
- I remember these drums back from Mass Extinction years ago. They're really well-done and quite tasty-sounding.
- 1:22 - 8-BITMUNCHED BREAKBEAT. That's awesome, super happy with that.
- Episodic composition is neat, and I can hear the differences in each section fairly clearly.

Stuff that can be improved:
- As I listen through this, I am struck by how the main lead is really not that good with the release tail. It feels slippery and is hard to really get into any melody it plays.
- Speaking of melodies, while you have some good phrases they aren't really put together into any kind of coherent melody for the piece. Each episode has its own melody which is okay, but very forgettable.
- One other thing contributing to the whole thing is just the emptiness of the mix. It seems like the piece's mix is set up to work around the breakbeat drums, rather than to be a full mix. I'm only counting three instruments aside from drums - bass, and two higher waveforms. For comparison, check out X-ray's "Zizibum" for a really neat and lush 8-bit soundscape.

You know, I think Zizibum is a great comparison for this piece and does a lot of what you're trying to do - but a bit better overall. (aside from the breakbeat stuff, that stuff you have nailed down super hard) Perhaps a good thing to look into for improvement - with a bit more filling out, your 8-bit stuff would be really neat!

8/10

Circutronics - NGADM Circutronics - NGADM

I promised a review explaining things - time to share. Also, another person who has a similar weirdness and difficulty to review is dem0lecule, if that helps at all.

Stuff that's great:
- Your instrumentation is actually really neat with this and the sound palatte is fascinating to analyze.
- I really like the sound you use for the bass at 0:40.
- The passage at 2:19 is one of the best passages in the piece, and has a really awesome sound with the chords.

Stuff that can be improved:
- I'm actually not really a fan of the chord progression at the start, which is a shame considering how much it's used.
- All of the chord-based melodies end up sounding a bit *too* chaotic imo, they tend to not make much sense even if they are easy to follow.
- Ending is a bit too sudden.
- The drum samples are, eh. Kinda really bad, sadly. They sound like vanilla FL samples without any processing. The kick is particularly bad.

So, this piece. I think the best word I can use to describe it is "awkward" - it has some really neat sounds, I can hear the arrangement in there, I can hear the echoes from previous sections, but it just doesn't fit together in a way that really WORKS. I'm not sure how to really express this in the above two categories, so I'm putting it here. You have everything that you need in the technical details, but there's something about the ideas and the instruments and everything that just don't quite fit together properly.

8.4/10

Spadezer responds:

Hmmm... more woes of the bad percussion samples.

You note the ending, which was hard to conclude the A theme without sounding "awkward."

Again the feedback is much appreciated and at least I got above an 8 lol. Thanks

Jealousy Jealousy

Time for your review, Harambe. Don't die on me, now.

Stuff that's great:
- The break around 2:18 is wonderful, always love some acoustic guitar. And then the phenomenal chorus sound with the vocals!
- Okay, the composition of this is great. While parts are repeated, they're really fitting and enjoyable with the vocals. The vocal hooks fit together really well and are put together with more than enough variation and background detail to sound great!

Stuff that can be improved:
- THAT BASS SOUND. It's so low and has almost no tone to it, just a slightly blobby bass only sound. Try centering it a bit and bringing out the low mids some more.
- Guitar is buried at 0:35 by the chords.
- Overall mix is generally a bit thin - the instruments aside from the vocals could be brought out a little bit more.
-The ending just cuts off mid bass pattern. Not good.
- Oh. There are some string-like sounds in the background that are almost completely inaudible for the entire piece.

So the writing and arrangement of this is almost entirely really good (aside from the ending), the main thing that brings it down from where it could be is the mix and whatever is used for the bass instrument. If it 'popped' a bit more and had a tastier bass, this would have a really, really strong feel to it.

9.2/10

-Dark Matter- -Dark Matter-

Here's your review, Predator. Open wide!

Stuff that's great:
- Oh man, those are some super tasty drums - it takes a LOT to make a basic drumbeat interesting, and your drum samples really make them here.
- As others have mentioned, the groove in this piece is really nice. That main bass sound is super tasty and crunchy as well, really awesome stuff there.

Stuff that can be improved:
- So the weakest part of this piece is honestly the composition - the melodies of the piece are... not good. I apologize for saying this, but several of them honestly sound like random notes played in the right general key, with one or two melody-like phrases in them. This hurts the piece the most by far.
- The delay on the initial voice seems a bit awkward, I think it could be far smoother.
- Honestly, the sounds for your main melodic synths are pretty low quality - especially the one around 1:40.

So basically, this piece hits a couple things really well - bass and percussion. The melodies really bring the piece down a LOT more than the rest of it really deserves.

8.9/10

Starry Sky Starry Sky

Time for your review, Techmo. Open wide!

Stuff that's great:
- The Distant patch on sytrus is great, isn't it?
- Your overall atmosphere in this piece is actually really fantastic, I think that with some work on the composition it would end up being quite good.
- The melody in the piece, while simple, is actually really nice - the arpeggios in the melody could be better, but they aren't too bad until they're used to excess in the second half of your melody pattern.
- Massively amused by the use of the "go" sample from FL Studio, hahaha.

Stuff that can be improved:
- The second arpeggio that comes in at the start doesn't work well with the first one at all - this continues throughout the piece.
- Careful with big reverby bass drum hits, they can really mess up a mix. Try using EQ before and after the reverb.
- The mix kinda eats itself around 3 minutes in, and falls apart even more around 3:20. Wall of indistinct noise is not the best route to a good mix.
- Some variation and less raw sound of your snare would be excellent in the snare rolls. Try varying the velocity.
- Repetition. Try using more patterns and tweaking them slightly - there's an option in FL called "make unique" when you click the options for a pattern. It's super helpful and lets you create variation with similar patterns without needing to rewrite the whole thing.

This piece is pretty nice, but suffers from some serious mixing issues and compositional mishaps which bring it down a lot more than it really should be. I think with a bit of work on covering up the current issues in the piece, this would be really excellent.

7.6/10

Techmo-X responds:

Thank you for the review SkyeWint. I understand what you meant about the added reverb on the drums. It did give a slight switch off of the main track of the song. I did however use the Equalizer on the drums but I guess it came out wrong. Any advice through getting some better drums via PM would be nice. I'm not very familiar with importing VST plug-ins but it could be an experience. Either way thank you for reviewing my song.

Simple (ft. Michelle Kim) Simple (ft. Michelle Kim)

Time for your lips, open 'ide!

Stuff that's great:
- The chord synth has a really really nice mellow attack to it, it sounds excellent.
- The vocals are generally excellent, especially Michelle's singing.
- Reeeeeally chill for trance, which is pretty nice.

Stuff that can be improved:
- There are some weird things with the male vocals at parts like "take you there". It seems like part of the male vocals are cut off at the start - "ake you there". Enunciation of the beginnings of words is really important for cleanliness.
- Careful with overloading your mix at 1:35. The additional high hats are fairly buried and the vocals are burying the mellow attack of your chords.
- The background melody isn't particularly interesting, and it's repeated *a lot*. I wish the background melody were used more effectively than being repeated. (On a related note, the chords seem to be repeated throughout the whole thing - some variation would be excellent).

Overall this is a pretty chill piece without that much variation, just a couple breakdowns in the middle and some nice changing up of the vocals towards the end. More variation along with just a bit of tightening up the mix would make this fantastic.

8.6/10

Last Hope Last Hope

Time for you review, CloakedSoup. Open wide!

Stuff that's great:
- Clean mix, with a solid palatte of instruments.
- Nice transition from the breakdown at 0:50.

Stuff that can be improved:
- Mix is slightly thin, and can be brought out a bit more with slightly more compression. One thing that helps a lot with acoustic instruments is to initially mix them dry, then use a touch of convolution reverb on the master track to tie it together and give it a consistent background.
- The composition is lackluster. This isn't to say it's bad, it's just... not good. Here's what I mean - the melody is entirely the same rhythm without any syncopation in the first half of the piece, and the second half of the piece is primarily chord changes with single leading notes - again in a very quantized and basic rhythm.

There's actually not much to say about this piece, as it's quite short and fairly basic overall. Mainly, I think the composition could stand to be more complex and interesting, and the mix can be significantly thicker - try listening to some of PeterSatera's music to see the difference (if you can find any now).

8/10

Self Discipline Self Discipline

Stuff that's great:
- Clean mix, albiet very thin.
- Break at 2:15 is really nice, and provides a great contrast to the rest of the piece. I only wish it lasted longer!
- There are some really nice riffs throughout this, particularly after the chord shift at 4:00. Another great idea is the variation on the initial theme at 5:00.

Stuff that can be improved:
- The drum mix is particularly thin - the kick seems very high, the snare lacks almost any body, and the toms are quiet. The cymbals are pretty close, but lack depth - I think the whole drum track can be compressed harder and pushed out a bit more.
- Overall, the piece seems to go on just a bit too long and not have any part of it that really sticks out as the 'hook'. It's a lot of riffing over chords for nearly 5 and a half minutes, without too much to focus on.
- I think the guitar tone is a bit awkward as well - with the wall of chords going on throughout the piece, it really isn't thick enough to have a strong feel.

Primarily, this is a long piece with good ideas that just kinda... sits on them - it doesn't arrange them in a way that helps them pop out, and the thin mix hurts this a lot as well.

7.8/10

g o o d t h i n g g o o d t h i n g

Stuff that's great:
- I wonder what it is with people and fake slap basses recently. Slap basses tho, awesome.
- All the little vocal clips and the vocal 'pop' thing towards the end. Those were great!
- You have a lot of really neat little melodic phrases throughout this.
- Very good sound palatte, solid arrangement throughout.

Stuff that can be improved:
- Mix. So like, you know how I mentioned there are a lot of neat melodic phrases through this? It would be phenomenal to be able to hear them without focusing quite hard on the mix - I tested it on multiple speakers, and the melodies are almost completely buried behind the bass, chords, and generally ALL THE OTHER STUFF in the climactic sections. In other words, mix does not have distortion, but it's not actually clean and the background is significantly louder than the melodies.
- The sudden unexpected and awkward chord thing at 2:40.
- The fact that significant portions of the song are literally copy/pasted from before, such as almost the entire climax, minus some sound effects adding into the overcompression - barely any variation in these. (0:10 & 1:17, 0:20 and 1:58 for two examples - only small additions in the background)

So, this has a lot of really neat melodic ideas in it which sound great, and a generally cool atmosphere with some good ear candy. Main issues are the mix being a bit too full and a significant portion of the song being copy/pasted.

9/10